February 18, 2011
KUANTAN: The case of 90 tomb stones at the Bukit Beirut Chinese cemetery which were vandalised and damaged has been resolved after parents of the three children involved made a formal apology.
A meeting was held at the district police headquarters on Wednesday where the parents admitted their mistake and apologised on behalf of their children, one aged nine and two aged 11.
Semambu assemblyman Datuk Pang Tsu Ming, Indera Mahkota Umno division chief Datuk Hazmi Yusof and OCPD Asst Comm Mohd Jasmani Yusoff witnessed the event.
The three children, who were accompanied by their parents and school teachers, apologised to the Fei Chiew Kar Chinese Cemetery Association secretary Tan Meng Lee.
Their actions earlier last week was captured by a member of the public who handed over the information to the cemetery’s management.
A report was lodged and subsequently, the parents took their children to the police voluntarily.
Pang commended the authorities for the prompt action and was relieved the issue was not prolonged.
“I have asked the management to estimate the cost of damage and will try to seek an allocation from the state government,” he said.
Hazmi said cemeteries were similar to places of worship and must be respected by all and no one should encroach or cause damage to the resting place of the dead.
“I hope the issue now can be put to rest and not be exploited by third parties,” he said.
Tan said it was the first time such an incident had taken place at the 40-year-old cemetery.
“We are deeply hurt but what has occurred cannot be undone and I hope, such irresponsible actions will not be repeated in future,” he said.
ACP Mohd Jasmani had instructed his investigating officer to wrap up investigation promptly and to indicate in the investigation papers that all parties had agreed to resolve the matter amicably.